Wednesday, September 17, 2008

College. It's everything you'd expect.

Who knew all those stereotypical college flicks with the greasy frats, trekkie fanatics, artsy hippies, and platinum blondes all living in melting pot bliss was completely true. It's probably surprising to me because my high school experience was nothing like that of High School Musical or Clueless. On the contrary - complete polar opposite contrary. An all girl Catholic academy situated in the center of an urban city does not equal HSM. I knew better than to actually think "high school is just like in the movies". But college on the other hand, well it's exactly like it is on the silver screen. Right down to a single red plastic cup of beer being kicked around on the stained cement floor of a basement frat party dressed in sweat, humidty, sexual tension, carelessness, and illegible speech. It's a real beauty to experience, but of course i'd rather be strolling down Soho or getting lost in Central Park. I've always been told i'd love college because i've always been "mature for my age" - an "old soul" if you will. I've been here for about three weeks and I really don't feel the epiphany of freedom and release people have been going on and on about referring to my being "raised in a bubble". Maybe it's because of where I am. I really would prefer going to school in NYC, but of course i'd be drowning in debt. City people are my people. The kids here at Rutgers seem to kneel and praise at the altar of the apparent apparel trinity that is Hollister, American Eagle, and Abercrombie&Fitch. There's no inspiration. Nothing moves me - neither the landscape nor the people. Maybe I'm being too judgemental for only three weeks. Maybe I'll find some individuals I can actually connect with as myself. I have yet to meet someone completely moving in the midst of about fifty thousand students. God. 

KELCIE.

2 comments:

Moon Doggie said...

haha...thnx (yea im back at work)
btw did you like the story? im trying to get peoples opinion on it..you (who seem to be able to write well enough to be professional) would really be appreciated if you gave your opinion...

Moon Doggie said...

oh yea and by the way,(i seem to be leaving you comments in pairs) i dont know why anyone would not wanna read your point-FULL posts. If its me being weird or not i have no clue, but once i read your first one I had to keep reading the other ones....um yea im just gonna leave you alone now..lol