Friday, June 20, 2008

Give Us This Day Our Daily Dose.


After taking my daily dose of the usual sites I visit - you know the perez, boingboing, postsecret, etc. - it dawned on me: What is this fixation on delving into the lives of others? Sometimes I catch myself overly absorbed and immersed in someone else's life that I forget about my own. I forget to live my own life when I can instead make something happen or shoot some vigor into it. I'd hate to say that the lives of the celebrities, the ordinary people who boldly display their deep dark or silly secrets, or the jet-setters of the world have it way better than me. I guess it's all perspective. "Nothing is good or bad, it's thinking that makes it so" (I really need to stop alluding to Hamlet). Admit it, we all love to dip our paws into the grimy and sordid world of gossip columns and the oh so tempting game of telephone. We. Love. it. I love it. It's a common (and now thanks to the internet, viral) guilty pleasure that undoubtedly assists in the turning of societal corruption. But I just can't get enough. Can this addiction be overturned or is it just human nature - to look over the proverbial fence and just wish for the green ass lawn on the other side?

KELCIE

P.S. Norman Rockwell is a genius.

No comments: